Advertisement

Ruthless RSF Commander Accused of Darfur Abuses Reportedly Returned to Frontline

Gambiaj.com – (BANJUL, The Gambia) – A senior commander of Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), widely known by the nickname “the butcher of El Fasher,” has reportedly been released from detention and returned to the battlefield despite accusations of executing civilians during the capture of El Fasher in North Darfur.

The commander, whose real name is al-Fateh Abdullah Idriss but is commonly known as Abou Lou Lou, had been arrested by the RSF in October last year after videos surfaced allegedly showing him humiliating and executing civilians during fighting in El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur.

The footage, which circulated widely on social media, sparked international outrage and drew condemnation from human rights groups and the international community. The videos also contributed to sanctions imposed on him by the United Nations Security Council.

Following the backlash, the RSF announced that Abou Lou Lou had been detained and would face justice. The paramilitary group also released footage purportedly showing him handcuffed and escorted to Shala prison in El Fasher.

According to Reuters, however, the commander was quietly freed after appearing before a disciplinary council and has since been redeployed to the frontlines.

Reuters reported that the order for his release allegedly came from Abdel-Rahim Daglo, the brother of RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo and deputy commander of the paramilitary force.

The report said Abou Lou Lou was sent to Kordofan to help boost troop morale, with instructions not to post videos or messages on social media.

But on Monday, a spokesperson for Tasis, the administration established by the RSF in areas under its control, denied reports of his release.

The spokesperson insisted that Abou Lou Lou and other commanders accused of abuses during the battle for El Fasher remain in detention and would face trial before a special court.

Tasis is fully committed to bringing to justice those responsible for crimes against the population,” the spokesperson said.

The conflict in Sudan, which erupted in April 2023 between the Sudanese army and the RSF, has triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with thousands killed and millions displaced, particularly in the Darfur region.

Source: Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 / ?